1930's / Garden Street
1930's / Garden Street
First Assembly of God had its beginning in 1917 when L. E. and Violet Moore opened their home at 721 N. DeVillers Street, Pensacola, FL for cottage prayer meetings. The first believers were known as Pentecostals or Holiness people. During this time, Rev. Andrew J. Martin was asked to preach on weekends and later became the first pastor.
The second place of worship was in an old store building on the corner of "F" and LaRua Streets from 1918 to 1919. The third place of worship was at 12th and Salamanca Streets. The fourth place of worship was the old street car barn at the corner of DeVillers and Gasden Streets. In those days, the street cars were drawn by mules or horses on tracks. The barns were used to house the animals.
The crowd was growing and the Pentecostal fire of the Lord was falling. During these early years, the young congregation and pastor suffered severe persecution. On one occasion, Pastor Martin was threatened with hanging from a nearby light pole. A reinforcement of policemen were called to the rescue. After several other interferences with the services, the Governor of Florida, Sidney J. Catzarkatz was called to Pensacola to settle the trouble.
On December 18, 1921, a business meeting was called by Pastor Martin for the purpose of setting the church in order and applying for affiliation with the General Council of the Assemblies of God. There were 15 charter members. Rev. D. P. McDonald served as the second pastor of the church from 1922 to 1926, during which time a residence at 609 DeVillers Street was purchased and converted into a place of worship.
Under the leadership of the sixth pastor, Rev. C. L. Duck, the property at 609 DeVillers Street was sold and in 1931, vacant property at the corner of Garden and “M” Streets was purchased. A one room building, 40’ X 60’ was constructed and used for a number of years as the sanctuary. During the next 49 years, the church underwent a number of remodeling and enlargement programs. The church remained at this location until 1980 when, under the leadership of Pastor Edwin G. Barg, the church built a new building and moved to its present location at the corner of 12th Avenue and Bayou Boulevard.
Through the years, First Assembly of God has experienced the bountiful blessings of the Lord and He continues to move in a mighty way. We are experiencing the moving of the Holy Ghost in such a powerful way. Lives are being changed, healings are taking place and souls are being saved. To God Be The Glory.
God is setting in place ministries from nursery to senior citizens and everything in between. With His help First Assembly will reach out and spread the gospel to our community, our neighbors, and our families. We want First Assembly to be a hospital for the hurting, a place of restoration, a tabernacle of prasie and worship throuh the preaching of God's Word and the moving of the Holy Spirit.
If you don't have a home church, we would love to have you visit and see first hand what God is doing here at First Assembly.
Come Grow With Us !